With the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the first known case in St Lucia according to Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Sharon Belmar-George on 13 March 2020, here are some steps you can take to help combat its spread.
How to Prepare for Corona Virus (COVID-19)
There is no vaccine for Coronavirus (COVID-19). You need isolate and ensure that you don’t get sick. If you do get sick, you will spread it for 5 days before you know that you are sick. So to help protect your life, friends and family you need:
- Follow and Only take instructions from credible medical sources such as the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Sharon Belmar-George and Saint Lucia’s Department of Health & Wellness .
- N95 mask – this is necessary to cover your mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing.
- Wash hands regularly with soap and water or alcohol based hand sanitizer where soap and water is not available.
- Stay 6 feet away from people
- Limit your exposure to persons who might be carrying it. Avoid mass crowds or shared ventilation such as church etc
- Pack food for at least 2 weeks. Stock up on crackers, pasta, cereals, rice, frozen vegetables, and canned goods (sardines, tuna).
How to fight Corona-Virus at home
Wiping down counters, doorknobs, faucets, cellphones, and other areas that often come in contact with people’s hands with bleach, alcohol, or even plain old soap and water, can go a long way toward preventing the spread of germs and sickness in the home.
Read more from Stephen Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University Medical Center on NPR