The Royal Saint Lucia Turf Club Inaugural Event – CECF 2019
CECF Saint Lucia to launch Saint Lucia’s new horse racing industry
The eyes of the world will turn to Saint Lucia on Dec 13th, as it celebrates National Day with the launch of its own thoroughbred industry.
23rd October 2019: The Royal Saint Lucia Turf Club today announces that it will commence horse racing in Saint Lucia with a showpiece event called the CECF Saint Lucia over the 12th and 13th December 2019.
The CECF Saint Lucia will be the Caribbean’s first luxury lifestyle and racing event. It will commence on Thursday 12th December with an Investment Event and a Welcome Party before moving to its primary focus on Friday 13th December (Saint Lucia’s National Day), the CECF Race Day.
Spearheading the CECF Race Day will be the USD150,000 Pitons Cup (1800m), a feature race that will be the richest run in the Caribbean this year. The Pitons Cup is attracting considerable interest both internationally and from across the region with confirmed participation from:
USA: Hall of Fame Trainer Todd Pletcher, Eclipse Award winning owners and breeders WinStar Farm,
Eclipse Award winner Sol Kumin, Taylor Made Farm, Team Valor, Dan Schafer.
– Caribbean: champion Jamaican trainer Anthony Nunes, Trinidad & Tobago’s highly acclaimed owner Merlyn Samlalsingh and Wilfred Acham.
– Australia: leading stud farm & owner Newgate Farm, leading trainers Michael and Richard Freedman and Telluride Agency.
– CECF Race Day: This will launch the Royal Saint Lucia Turf Club and racing in Saint Lucia ahead of the club’s first season of racing in 2020. The CECF Race Day will be framed by five thoroughbred races and be supported by local entertainment. Following the race day will be a free post event concert that ispart of the National Day Celebrations;
– General Public: EC25 (children under 6 years old free)
– Tickets to be sold through The Cell
– Racehorses: At the exclusive expense of the Royal Saint Lucia Turf Club, 40 thoroughbreds have been in training in the USA, transported to Saint Lucia and are now being managed by two experienced veterinarians and a training team headed by successful trainer Deon Visser;
– Open Day: Official Open Days will be held at the racecourse on Sunday 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th
November to view these 40 racehorses. These days are open to all public. These horses are for sale.
This will be an opportunity for Saint Lucians to become racehorse owners individually or in a group orsyndicate of up to 30 owners. Horses purchased from Royal Saint Lucia Turf Club are given precedence to compete at the 2019 CECF Saint Lucia in races valued at between USD20,000 and USD40,000;
– Pitons Cup Trophy: Acclaimed local artist Jalim Eudovic is designing a bespoke trophy for the Pitons Cup, the richest race run in the Caribbean in 2019;
– Winston Trim Training Programme: A group of talented and passionate young Saint Lucians have
graduated from an accredited international groom training programme that was run as part of a larger initiative called the Winston Trim Training Programme. They are now gainfully employed, are working with racehorses at the Royal Saint Lucia Turf Club and will be working at the CECF Race Day itself;
– International Status: Royal Saint Lucia Turf Club has been listed as a Special Racing Authority by the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities (IFHA), the sport’s international governing body in recognition for the steps taken by the club to meet exacting international standards. It is the first club formally accredited by the IFHA in the Caribbean.